Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Jane Austen & Other Period Adaptations: Movies & TV.

Hello to all of you, lovely readers and I've been planning to write this post dedicated to Jane Austen movies and period movies & series I've watched like a marathon since last weekend. I've been a fan of Jane Austen since I was in high school and I can truly say that even if she was from the 19th century, she knew what romance and love meant. Her novels are an inspiration to me.
My favorite books from Jane Austen are Emma and Pride & Prejudice, world wide known stories that have been adapted many times on TV and on the big screen. Here's a list of adaptations I've seen this week and I've absolutely fell in love! Others I've seen before and I'll let you know through the list.



Emma (2009): a mini-series adaptation of the novel Emma with four episodes; first time watching it, beautiful and the cast is amazing. If you watch British TV, you could recognize Jonny Miller as Mr. Knightley, Blake Ritson as Mr. Elton (which also starred in Mansfield Park as Edmund Bertram) and Rimola Garai as Emma Woodhouse. Emma is about this rich and beautiful girl called Emma Woodhouse who loves to be a matchmaker and befriends a girl named Harriet whom she wants to set up with Mr. Elton and we get to see the consequences about this adventure. Mr. Knightley is her brother in law who is also a very dear friend to her and how their growing care for each other transforms into something deep and more beautiful.

 
Emma (1996): the only difference is the cast and since it's a movie adaptation from the big screen and some details aren't shown on the movie like the BBC adaptation, but a really good performance by Gwyneth Paltrow and Jeremy Northam as our Mr. Knightley and Emma Woodhouse. I've watched it three times and I'm in love with it, one of my favorite movies.


Northanger Abbey (2007): TV movie adaptation of Austen's Northanger Abbey, which I haven't read... yet. Starring JJ Feild (one of my current British actor crushes) and Felicity Jones (love her face she's pretty! from Like Crazy) as Catherine Morlan & Henry Tinsley. Catherine is a big fan of books, specially mystery ones, and she lives in her imagination so when she meets Tinsley, she's intrigued about his late mother's true story behind her death and obviously the story of true love.

 
Sense & Sensibility (1995): Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Hugh Grant and Alan Rickman star in this masterpiece and I truly will let the trailer speak for itself, because I have no words for how magnificent this adaptation of these sisters and their lives and how love has affected them in ways we can relate to.
 

 
Until next post lovelies, there will be a second part for this post SOON! 


No comments:

Post a Comment