Monday, June 30, 2014

Movie Reviews: Under The Skin & Austenland + TV Shows recs!

Hello, no time no see or write to you guys, I'm here to let you know about the latest movies I've watched and the series I've been loving lately!
First, almost a week ago I went to Fine Arts (cinema) with one of my closest friends to watch Under The Skin, starring Scarlett Johansson. I truly had no idea what the movie was about, but since ScarJo was in it, I guess it would be a good one. The beginning of the movie was literally the formation of an eye, of a human eye, as if we were seeing the process of a human being created, later some beautiful and random sequences happened, the weird thing was that there was little dialogue and script, literally the movie's visuals were the one telling the story and trying to decipher why this story is happening. It was a bit frustrating to learn about what was ScarJo's character, we do know she's an alien using a human's skin to do their alien mission, but why? And to what purpose? The plot of the movie wasn't that deep and profound enough. This movie is literally filled with beautiful sceneries of Scotland, but unfortunately, that is what I only liked about this movie. It's frustrating, but at the same time you like how Scarlett Johansson is acting, and you are invested in finding out why and how, and also that at the end, she's running away to live among the humans, even though it's hard, but sadly it didn't enchant me. Here's the trailer if one day you consider watching it: 3/5 stars.



Since that same Sunday, I was a bit weird with my mood because of Under The Skin, I decided to watch a movie called Austenland and I was hoping it didn't ruin the essence of my favorite writer, Jane Austen. I've watched a few of the modern adaptation of the novels, which I truly love, and this movie in particular directed by Stephenie Meyer, yes the Twilight Saga writer, is about this woman who lives and breathes Jane Austen's works and related, and she decided one day to go to London to a place who literally bring that part of history back to life and actors who play their parts to honor Austen's works. Jane, the protagonist of the story, is definitely ecstatic about it, but some things don't go the way she wants, until she takes charge of her story. It's really entertaining and if you like period stories, you'll love this one, because since it's a mixture of the past and the present, you'll watch some funny stuff along the movie. I loved it and here's the trailer (also love JJ Feild).




Now for TV, I've been watching a couple of series which I will make bullets for now and talk a bit about not giving much away:
  • Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D: If you love Marvel's movies, you'll adore this series, you have more insight in what SHIELD is all about and you get to see how Coulson is brought back from the dead, and meet some new agents and their different mission. Villains and heroes and if you are one big geek like I am, you'll adore it.
  • Orange is the New Black: guys, this series is a whole new level of genius, you're literally seeing how women could be inside prison and we see it through Piper Chapman's eyes. Every episode is gold and it is definitely a must see.
  • Parks and Recreation: I've been watching Parks and Recreation since two years ago, but I recently finished season 5 and started 6 and if you love comedy, and Amy Poehler, this is your show.
  • Arrested Development: Since now, you must know there is a pattern here, and I like comedy so much, so this series was hard to resist, I just started it, and I like it. It's Will Arnett and Jason Bateman, Michael Cera, so hard to not watch this on Netflix.
  • Orphan Black: I just finished and watched live the season 2 finale and if you're interested in clones and different sides of a woman, this is your show. Also Tatiana Maslany will have so much Oscar nominations in the future, that woman is incredible and her acting is excellent, out of this world.
So those are my mini-reviews for the TV shows I'm currently watching if you want me to specify on something, you can write below in the comments! Thank youuuu!
Until next time, lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment