Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Film Review: Maleficent!

Hello, there lovelies!
I went today to the movies with my brothers and decided to go watch Disney's Maleficent.

 
Before the movie, there were trailers for Cinderella that will come in 2015 and Big Hero 6 in Fall. I'm pretty excited for both since I'm a huge fan of Disney movies. Now, going back to Maleficent, I was not ready for it at all, I had all these questions in my head, Would it have a plot twist? Will it be similar to the concept of Snow White and the Huntsman? Would it follow the Disney's classic, Sleeping Beauty story? I wasn't ready. Before the movie, I read a post in Tumblr, that the movie's plot had a similar dynamic from Frozen, in where true love not necessarily comes from a love between man and woman, but of family and friendship. I won't try to give away too much, but caution: spoilers ahead.
 
  • Angelina Jolie as Maleficent was the best thing that could ever happen, without her, the movie wouldn't have been the same. We all know how impressive and strong is Angelina Jolie's presence in a role for any film, because of her talent. In the movie, we see this fairy who protects the creature of where she's from and how innocent and naïve she was as a child. From hero to villain, it was a great transition, but also we do see how vulnerable Maleficent really is. A woman who has been hurt and blames others for her tragedy, but we also see that it wasn't her fault.
  • In the movie, Maleficent also becomes a motherly-figure to Aurora (Elle Fanning) who even though she was keeping an eye, because she is the most important thing to the person who hurt her in the past, she grows fond of Aurora and helps her, to the point of regretting everything she's done. This in particular reminded me of Brave's story arc of the importance of a mother-daughter's love. It had that beautiful element.
  • Frozen's story arc of sisterly love was definitely seen in this movie, where Maleficent being a mother (fairygodmother) figure to Aurora, we see that true love was definitely bound to be between the two, and I loved that it doesn't necessarily come from a man, and that even though Phillip was in the movie, as he himself said: "He only has known her for a day." Love has to be earned and acquired because of effort and great patience, be there for the other person, unlike the classic movie, we see a bit of real in the movie, and what Aurora wanted was to belong, and she found a home in Maleficent.
  • Maleficent had WINGS. She loses them, and that killed me. How awesome to see a hero fall and then rise again because she wants to fix her wrongs.
  • The colors in this movie, the forest scenes, the creatures, the special effects were really pretty and literally magic.
  • Overall, I liked it a lot, and you should watch too!
Here is the trailer!
 

 
and Cinderella's Teaser!
 
 
Until the next post loveliesssss, (now I'm going to have a mini-Disney movie marathon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment